5th September 2015

With Nick. Alex came over later to help with hauling spoil out to the surface.

There were a few puddles along the way to the pot and there was water in the dig. We started off by clearing the rocks stashed in the rift on the south side of the pot. When Nick had a suitable pile and needed to shuttle the rocks to the entrance I filled bags. I managed to dig spoil from higher up and this kept the spoil drier. Couldn’t get the water to drain away. When we had filled 20 bags and shifted all the rocks from the pot we decided it was time to haul out the spoil to the surface – there was a lot of it! A good job completed.

Author: mendipgeoarch

Archaeologist, Geologist, Speleologist